11. The Enterprise Building
This home was originally built in the early 1800s. One of its early uses was as a grocery store or storeroom. In 1854, it also belonged to George Buckey, who had the hotel next door.
|In 1874, George P. Sargent founded the Randolph
Enterprise, the first newspaper in Randolph County. First published in the
Blackman store building, it soon moved to this building where it was published for many
years. Democratic in politics, for 25 years it was the only newspaper in the county. In
1899, the newspaper followed the move of the county seat to Elkins and, after mergers,
continued as the Randolph Enterprise Review.
After the newspaper left, the building became the Morrison Hotel. It had 19 guest rooms and operated until about 1928.
This building likely originated as a simple two-story rectangular frame building. The overhanging second story and the off-center parapet wall that extends beyond the roof were added later.
Now in private ownership, the building is currently being restored with assistance from the Beverly Historic Landmarks Commissions. New pictures will be posted to this page when the process is completed.