16. The Louisa Gilmore House
This lot, on the northwest corner of what are now Court and Water streets, was the site of the original log schoolhouse which was standing before the town of Beverly was laid out. The house that was here (before 1996) was built by 1890, when Miss Louisa A. Gilmore bought the house where she already lived.
It was a small, L-shaped frame with a scrollwork portico and stone foundations. Its front (east) side had three bays, and its one- story ell had a rear covered patio.
It was replaced by the building shown below: