43. Ward House
|This dramatic house, overlooking Beverly, is
located on Butcher Hill, on one of the lower knolls below Mt. Iser cemetery.
Some of the trenches from the Union fortifications can still be seen in the yard surrounding the house.
|Constructed from 1890 to 1895, the house was
designed by a prominent Wheeling architect named Bumgardner. It was the home of lawyer
John Baylis Ward and his wife Angelia Scott Ward and was called "Edgewood."
It is an elaborate Queen Anne house with a tower on the northeast corner and hipped gable dormers. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.